Sunday, March 25, 2007

torino, italy

First of all, sorry for waiting so long to write! I have been busier than I thought, and am only just now getting a chance to get on a computer (and to make things worse, I can't use my mac because I need to get on an internet cafe...)

There is no possible way to adequately write all I learned and experienced in Italy on a blog - especially with my limited time. I hope to debrief in more detail when I return home (April 19th!! Though I am loving the time, I do find myself counting the days). I also hope to post pictures as soon as I can.

Italy was amazing! A lot of work, little sleep, but a great time. Our mornings began with a couple hours of prayer, teaching, and sharing with the Italian church - Il Rifugio, the Iowans, and Ohioans. Then our afternoons were split- those from Iowa ran English clubs, and those from Ohio went to campus in pairs and shared the Gospel. The evenings included a long dinner - usually 2 or more hours and I made an effort to culture myself and order the common Italian dinner's (more than just cheese pizza and spaghetti!). After dinner, Il Rifugio hosted a meeting where my dad taught through II Timothy.

These are the people that made this trip worth the time and money for me to go. First was Lucas, Polish, who is studying at the University of Torino. We had a great time talking and getting to know each other. We talked for a couple hours one night about life in Poland - food, family, traditions... This brought such a realness and trust that bridged to a freedom to talk about deeper things. Second was Vil, Russian, who I met on campus evangelizing. After a couple hours of dialogue (he spoke great English) and going through the bridge diagram, he wanted to think more about it and initiated lunch the next day. So we got some pizza, and after some more discussion, Vil professed Christ as Lord and accepted Him as "the bridge." We developed a great friendship throughout the rest of the week. The five of us, along with Dale (from Ohio) and Josh (from Iowa) spent most of Saturday together on an excursion to Laggo di Garda. I enjoyed great fellowship with just about everyone - other Italians in the church, those from Iowa, and those that came with me from Ohio.

I felt God taught me and grew me as much as He did use me. And what I wrote about was literally just a snippet of what happened; there was so much more that happened that is unseen. I hope I get a chance to talk with you more about the amazing things God did in Torino, Italy. I also look forward to hearing how my time in Italy has impacted students throughout this next year. Thanks so much for your prayers and support - God heard those prayers and answered them!

Right now, I'm in India. Different from my expectations of an evangelistic mission, our time is spent encouraging and equipping the students to share their faith. We have 4 sessions a day; from 9am to 6pm. This schedule started the day we flew in (Monday morning!) So if I'm not at a meeting, I'm sleeping... or enjoying some great Indian food and tea! Please keep us in your prayers as the area we are staying in is one of persecution and violence towards Christianity.

Thanks again, and my love and prayers are with you! Please keep praying; God truly does listen and all the more as we do His will!