The thought never occurred to me, but I was in northwest Germany- a 2 hour drive from the Netherlands. So with two friends from the church, I took a day trip (I had to since I was so close!)
We started off the day in Harlem. This was my first experience in Dutch culture, and it was pretty strange to realize that these small little quaint places exist. They have their own way of life, their own uniqueness, their own architecture. And though I've been experiencing different cultures for the last month, that concept finally hit me. I can't quite put a finger on what it was, but I really felt it walking around and looking at the buildings. Harlem is also home to Corrie ten Boom and the Hiding Place. Although the museum was closed, we saw the outside.
On the way from Harlem to Amsterdam, we took a little detour. The Netherlands is most famous for their tulips. We saw fields and fields of tulips. We spent a while there- I went along and took pictures.
We arrived in Amsterdam at 7:30. Honestly, it was not very exciting. Harlem gave a good feel for Dutch culture, and Amsterdam had quite an impressing aura of spiritual depravity and sin. We walked around for about two hours- and we all felt this way and were silent. However, as we walked around, we found a Christian youth hostile and decided to walk in. We described it as like walking into Narnia; out spirits were lifted literally the instant we walked in. We were refreshed, had some food, and talked for a couple hours. I've never experienced the concept of "letting your light shine in dark places" as much as I did here; it has never been so real. Anyone who walked in would know that God gave His presence there, and it was such an encouragement to us.
Quick parenthesis: I hope you all don't think that I'm struggling to survive here... it was difficult the first week for several reasons, but now that I am doing what I came here to do, I am very much encouraged and filled with joy! Sure it can still get difficult, but I am finding so much joy in doing God's work right now.
Thanks again for your encouragement- notes, prayers, thoughts! Don't forget to check out pictures of the places I've been! http://picasaweb.google.com/pilgrim3