Friday, June 1, 2007

thoughts and things since back in ohio

I'm always careful to never say "home." While I was in Germany, I realized this: I truly am "aliens and strangers" - I Peter 2:11 and Philippians 3:20. Even coming back to Ohio, I was aware that I was not really coming home. So since I've been back in Ohio, I've been able to process a lot and think and pray over where God might be leading me.

My second weekend back, I went to Myrtle Beach with Dale Schuler. Our reason was to help out and scout out places for LT, which really was an excuse to have a weekend to catch up and relax at the beach! After two days there, we went up to North Carolina and connected with our Boot Camp friends David Wilson, Emily Miller, and Ross Thomas. While on this trip, I talked through some things with Dale, but never really spent time alone reflecting on my travels.

This past week (Memorial weekend), Whitney Parson, Summer Denius, and I went to Iowa to meet up with our friends who went to Italy with us. We spent most of our time in downtown Des Moines, where we walked around, ate, and laughed as we walked by Vanilla Ice!! It was a fun time to see them again, but the car ride there and back was the best part- we got to know each other and ourselves better!

That's it for the travels! I'm in Ohio, besides a couple conferences this summer. I've been landscaping with my brother these past couple weeks and then will quit in mid-June. Now that I am truly back, the dust and feelings have settled a little from my missions trips, and now it's time to make some big decisions!

Things are still up in the air: college, work, where to live, ministry... I feel like a senior in high school all over again! Yet- I know what I want my life to about; God has given me a vision to reach others, and now I'm simply on the journey to get there. Every decision will therefore hopefully be kept in perspective and directly impacted by this vision. My theme verse for this season of life talks about preparing for what God is going to do:
In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble. If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work. (II Timothy 2:20-21)